Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Thursday, March 31, 2005

blogdiction and blogaholism.

I'm a blog-a-holic... For a while I was only addicted to writing my own blog. I really had no idea why so many people cared to read my journal... now my "blog"... but now I get it.

I started reading someone's journal tonight and I got sucked in. It isn't someone I know, but someone I know of... and I read something in it that kind of struck me as odd... and then I had to read on... so I kept reading and reading... and then I said to a friend "now I get why people got so into my journal!"

There is only one other person's journal I read, and it's definitely one I SHOULDN'T read, but I know this person reads mine... so when it was started I figured I might as well be a silent observer as well. But that's a whole other story.

The annoying thing about blogs - and I know this from being both a blogger and a blog-ee (definition: one who is written about in a blog)... You don't ever know if someone is actually writing about you. Well, sometimes you do... but most of the time you don't. It's really easy to jump to conclusions and think someone is writing about you, or writing about a situation that you know about, but they never actually name names or come out and say it, and there's always that one bit of information in there that can throw you off... but how do you know if YOU are the one being talked about???

Like, right now, there are probably a few people reading this who assume I am talking about THEM in this post! I could be, I probably am, if you read mine... and you've got one... I probably read it too...

It wasn't until I had nothing else to do that I started seeking out other blogs... but I figure since everyone I know and a lot of people I don't know were reading mine - then what would be wrong with me reading anyone else's?

Anyway, I read this person's blog and almost felt like a shot was being taken at ME - but this person doesn't really know me... probably knows of me, but doesn't know ME... so then I read on and realized the comment was definitely directed at someone else based on previous posts... but then I wanted to know WHO IS IT... and I won't know... and now I'll probably check it religiously just to get some clue as to what the hell is going on... it's like a big mystery!!

Now I get the fascination with my blog. Over 1,200 people read this blog yesterday... that's the number of UNIQUE VISITORS... and it doesn't include me - I blocked my IP from being counted. I probably know about 100 of those people. Strange to think about. Of those 1,200 maybe 50 or so ever comment, email, or are people I actually talk to in real life... It's just WEIRD this whole blogging thing!!!

I also have a hard time with blogging because sometimes people read things and think you're talking about them... or read things and assume other things based on what they read... and then don't ask for clarification. Like friends or family who read this and see something they ASSUME is about them, or don't see something here and assume it was purposely omitted... It's just crazy. I hope that anyone who I know who reads this would ask for clarification before jumping to conclusions... chances are if I know you and I know you read this, I'm not going to talk sh*t about you here ANYWAY... and I really don't have beef with anyone these days so no need to worry!!

***

I found out some very cool news today. However, I can not say what it is, who it involves, or what may or may not become of it. It's just cool... and I am very happy for a friend!!

***

My stepmom and I went shopping for Kyla's birthday party stuff tonight!!! I LOVE going into those party stores... it makes me want to have a luau, graduation party, baby shower, etc. all at the same time!!! They had some adorable 1st birthday stuff so we picked out plates, napkins, tablecloth, etc. and we got her the CUTEST little birthday girl hat - I can not WAIT for the pictures of this!!!!

OK I need to get to sleep. I was going to watch PoweR Girls but lost track of time chatting!!! I'm such a VUG!!!

:)

D

3 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger slim whale said...

My favorite past time lately is to go bloghopping. That's how i found your blog. I totally agree with you, reading other people's blogs sometimes draws you in so much that you'd like to dig deeper by reading more. and i'm not just talking about bloggers you know. even strangers can interest you in one way or another, like me, i don't know you but i enjoy reading your posts (i hope you don't mind). this blog thing is really cool.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Brandy said...

Dana-
I completely understand where you are coming from when you say that blogging is addicting. I love both of your blogs, which you can probably tell by now, I check them many times each day, and I now have one of my own. I actually put your link for D*ana's Dirt in mine twice already, one on my very first post. I use mine just to vent about life, and its funny because I talk about work in it and I have actually pissed someone off because of what I wrote in it. So like you, I then had to make a post basically saying that if you don't like what I have to say then don't read it, this is my space to say what I want since I won't tell anyone to their face.

So anyways, that was just my little comment to this post. I love both sites, your dirt page is awesome and Kyla is adorable. If you keep writing, we'll keep reading.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger DenebM said...

Lots of us have been "following you" from Tampa to SC and now to Boston...you certainly have a way of putting things. You make me laugh out loud a lot of times.

Blogging can totally get you hooked, though. My husband used to make fun of me...now I've seen him reading ramdom blogs out there.

It's super fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home