Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sunday, July 10, 2005

I like to fly.

Lately I have been kind of down... anyone who knows what is going on in my life knows it has not been easy... but in all of this I've come to the realization that I've gotten over a VERY BIG FEAR of mine... so I'm going to take a moment to pat myself on the back and let this conquered fear be a step in the right direction for me.

I am not quite sure where my fear of flying came from... I flew a few times when I was younger. My dad took me to Texas when I was in 3rd grade. It was the first time I flew. I remember how excited I was to be getting out of school early that day to take a trip with my dad... and I had NO fear of the plane. In fact, I really don't remember much about it.

I guess on the way back we flew through a horrible storm... and the plane was all over the place... and even the stewardesses (yes, at that time way back in 1985 they were still called STEWARDESSES) were sitting down...

I had to pee real bad. I insisted on going to the bathroom. They didn't want me to get up, but they also didn't want to tell me that it was a bad flight and I shouldn't go... so I went. I guess everything went OK... I don't remember. I just know that when that plane landed there was applause... and that's when they told me it was BAD!

Then in 5th grade I flew to Washington, DC on a school trip... and I had no fear then either. The only thing I remember was feeling kind of sick on the way back... but that's because I was coming down with chicken pox.

Fast forward to my sophomore year of college. I was picked to go to the sorority convention at Purdue University. I was so excited... until the plane took off.

I was with my sorority sister Tara... we were sitting next to each other... we were just chatting away until the plane lifted off the ground and JERKED... like that kind of pull that sometimes happens where you feel like it's going to just fall right back to the ground...

I literally YELPED, grabbed my seat so tight, and started hyperventilating. Poor Tara was embarassed... and the other people on the plane were like "it's ok"...

Then I make it through that flight and realize... next up, we're going on a little puddle jumper 8 seater. Tara was....

THIS POST GOT DELETED BY BLOGGER... I will finish it later.

I'm a little miffed - it was long and good!

3 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Anonymous Fat Blogger said...

Welcome back!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Stefi Lily said...

Good that u got over ur fear, now I have to get over mine... : )

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Maureen said...

I am getting on a plane with my one year old Thursday. It's just a 2 hour flight and I hope to God that it goes well. We are taking the portable DVD player, so that should help. I personally hate to fly, but I also hate the thought of a 16 hour drive with a one year old. Lesser of two evils.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home